Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Dinner Feast

Yesterday was relatively normal. I had my bagel and coffee for breakfast, with an apple in-between meals. Lunch was a can of soup I had stashed here at work.

By the time I made it home, though, I was pretty hungry. I found some spaghetti noodles in the cabinet, and I had some Yves (fake) ground turkey in the freezer from a sale Safeway had a month or so ago. I figured I could make some spaghetti in "meat" sauce for dinner.

I live about two blocks from a tiny, corner "health-food" store. They price things a tad bit higher than most grocery stores, but you're paying for convenience. Considering I wasn't grocery shopping and just picking up a few things, I figured it was okay. I wasn't going to go over $10.

Dinner was awesome. I picked up a small head of broccoli at the store, so that I could work some dark greens into my diet. I simply steamed it and ate it as a side to my meal. I also got a mini-loaf of french bread and cut it in-half (some for today's lunch with leftovers). I made garlic-bread with it by spreading some olive oil on the halves and sprinkling it with minced garlic, then baking at 250 degrees Farenheit for about ten minutes.

  • Coffee: $0.60
  • Apple: $0.75
  • Onion: $0.25
  • Tomato Sauce: $2.49
  • Bread: $1.00
  • Broccoli: $0.75
  • TOTAL: $5.84

And, here's a recipe for some easy pasta...since it's been a bit:

Spaghetti w/ "Meat" Sauce

-one small yellow onion, chopped

-five cloves of garlic, minced

-olive oil

-one pound fake ground turkey (or fake ground beef)

-half-pound spaghetti noodles

-one can tomato sauce

-salt, pepper, thyme, sage, basil, oregano (or italian seasoning)

Directions:

Saute the onion in a few tablespoons olive oil until translucent. Add the chopped garlic and saute for about two minutes. Stir in the "meat" and stir frequently until the "meat" begins to brown. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings to taste.

In a seperate pot, boil water with a few dashes of salt and olive oil. Add noodles and cook according to package directions.

Stir the sauce frequently while pasta boils. When pasta is done, drain, then add to sauce. Stir well.

No comments:

Post a Comment