Monday, January 19, 2009

Hangover

There just wasn't much happening in my life yesterday. I could barely make it it the four blocks to the taqueria for a taco, much less to the grocery store and back, then to cook. Yesterday, I was all about making take-out food relatively cheap.

I DID make breakfast. I had gathered the stuff I needed the night before for tofu scramble and homefries. Halfway through the cooking, I remembered that our house was out of ketchup....and I was not in the mood to have potatoes without ketchup.

After that, though...I laid around and watched Netflix movies. I started to get hungry again around 1, and I started having INTENSE cravings for a "chicken" sandwich from Love'N'Haight. I ignored the cravings at first, but it got out-of-hand and I found myself walking the two blocks there, repeating "No avocado. It's an extra $0.99 for avocado."

Around dinner, my roommate and her boyfriend were creating a masterpiece in the kitchen and I didn't feel like making anything anyway, so I just went to Taqueria Castillito and had a veggie taco (free chips!) for $2.16. (Tacos are my secret weapon. When you order JUST a taco, it's like they're TRYING to hook you up. You end up with half-the-amount as a burrito, and half the calories. Tacos usually fall around $2-2.50, and if you go to a place that gives you chips with dinner...it's exactly enough for a meal. I had two taco tortillas, rice, black beans, salsa, cilantro, onion, guacamole, lettuce, and a tomato slice, and chips and three kinds of salsa - for almost $2 even. Hot damn and hell yeah.)

The rest of the night was free entertainment - a friend came over and one of my roommates hung out, too, and we watched four episodes of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on Hulu.com. I passed out relatively early because I had only four hours of sleep the previous night.

  • Ketchup: $1.79
  • Sandwich: $5.49
  • Taco: $2.16
  • TOTAL: $9.44
I also wanted to share the super-easy and super-tasty waffle recipe from yesterday. I just didn't have it in me during my last update.

Also, to note, you need a waffle iron. They're $10 at Walgreens and a great appliance to have around the house. Not only can you make delicious homemade waffles for a1/3 the price of a store-bought frozen box...but you can use the thing to make pressed sandwiches!

Easy-Peasy Vegan Waffles

-1 cup flour
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-a few dashes salt
-1 cup soymilk
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(-Optional: Add in about a cup of fruit - berries, apples, banana...I minced a large apple and threw it in the flour and mixed well before adding the wet ingredients - so good!)

Directions:
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Mix all of the wet ingredients in another bowl.
Add the wet to the dry. Mix until just mixed. Put 1/4 cup batter into each "waffle" section on the iron, or follow the manufactuor's specifications.
It makes about five waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment