Friday, January 2, 2009

Not So Bad

The second day is practically over, and I won't be spending another cent.

I spent a bit more today, but I didn't even reach my $10 limit just yet.

I repeated a few meals again, today, as well, but I'm in Reno and vegan food has to be prepared at home in any way and I already had stock of several of the things I used.

This morning, I woke up and made my french-pressed coffee in-house. Boyfriend and I walked to the supermarket and picked up two bagels each. I ate my bagel with the same spinach dip-spread as the day before. The other bagel was consumed for lunch with some things I already had on hand (some hummus, tomato, avocado, and sprouts leftover from a sandwich I made prior to January).

During the day, I decided to make brownies, and (luckily) I didn't have to pick up any of the ingredients.

I made the fried rice again for several reasons. My boyfriend wanted to know how to make it, I had most of the ingredients already, the ingredients I didn't have were cheap, and, well, I liked it.

Tonight, some friends picked me up for pizza night, a weekly all-girl meetup at a pizza place in-town. Pitchers of PBR are $8 or so, so I put in $5 for one of two pitchers at the table. I didn't eat since I ate at home.

Today's expenditures:
  • Two Bagels: $1.00
  • Tofu: $1.49
  • Onion: $0.48
  • Beer: $5.00
  • TOTAL: $7.97

And, as an added bonus, here's the recipe for the brownies. Most people who bake already have this stuff on hand, and they're probably the best vegan brownies I've ever had.

The Best Vegan Brownies I've Ever Had

-2 cups flour

-1 cup water

-1 1/2 cup sugar

-1 tsp salt

-1 tsp vanilla

-3/4 cup cocoa

-1/2 cup vegetable oil

-1/2 tsp baking powder

Directions:

Boil the water and 1/2 cup flour over medium heat until a semi-thick paste is formed.

Mix sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa, and oil. Add the flour-water mix.

Mix in the rest of the flour and baking powder.

Pour into an 11"x9" pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment