Monday, January 26, 2009

Sunday

The day after my birthday, I felt that hangover sting that only a Scorpion bowl can provide. I woke up starving, but all I really had for breakfast were some rolled oats that I promptly made into delicious oatmeal. After some french-pressed coffee, I felt ten times better.

Lunch was actually eaten out-of-home. Mac was in town and he has a love for Ali Baba's in Lower Haight that can't be ignored when he's here, so we went for falafel at lunch. We walked to the library to return a book, then went to Amoeba to look around. Let me say this: walking into a record store like that and walking out empty-handed is a hard one for me. Especially since I'm moving to a city without a record store. Vinyl will be available only online for me very soon.

For dinner, I just ran to the produce market at Page and Divisadero and loaded up on enough veggies to make my Ginger Peanut Stew again. (My roommates discovered that rice added to the stew makes it super-thick and soaks up a lot of the spice - perfect dish!)

The same produce market also has bags of $0.75 "iffy" produce out front, and there was a bag of banged-up and bruised apples for $0.75 that Nate got me on Saturday, so I opted to make a super-simple apple crisp out of them. The crisp was gone when I woke up this morning, so I think it's a winner.

That batch of stew provided enough food for me to eat like a king at lunch three days in a row this week!

  • Falafel: $5.96
  • Produce: $1.76
  • Bus: $1.50
  • TOTAL: $9.22

Mom's Oatmeal

-1 cup rolled oats

-2 cups water

-1 tablespoon margarine (Smart Balance is good!)

-1 teaspoon cinnamon

-2 tablespoons sugar

Combine all ingredients in a small pot over the stove on medium-high heat. Stir constantly until oats are thick enough for your liking.

Easy Apple Crisp

Filling:

-4 cups chopped apples

-1 teaspoon cinnamon

-2 tablespoons brown sugar

-2 tablespoons flour

Topping:

-1 cup rolled oats

-1/4 cup sugar

-1/4 cup margarine

-1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Oil an 8x8-inch baking pan.

Mix the filling ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Pour into greased pan.

Mix the other ingredients in a large bowl, then spread evenly over the filling mix in the pan. Sprinkle with a small amount of brown sugar, if desired.

Bake at 350 for about one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment