Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Most I've Spent

Yesterday was the closest I've come to the $10 mark.

For breakfast, my boyfriend and I decided to make breakfast burritos. He bought the tortillas and salsa, and I bought everything else (tofu, onion, avocado, potato, and garlic). The burritos turned out really well...some of the best food I've eaten since the inception of this whole thing.

The burritos held us over for a long time as they were super-filling. We did, however, stop by a new bakery in-town called Brickhouse Bakery. Luckily, it's pretty affordable, and I was able to buy a vegan cinnamon roll for only $1!

The rest of the day was spent at an antique store and walking around town for some fresh air. We watched a few movies...all "free" things to do. For dinner, I just made some fried rice, but I tweaked the recipe a bit. I used green onions instead, and Boyfriend had some nutritional yeast for the tofu. I think it made it taste better.

  • Avocado: $0.89 (on sale!)
  • Onion: $0.45
  • Tofu: $2.98
  • Garlic: $0.50
  • Potato: $0.92
  • Green Onion: $0.89
  • Crescent Rolls: $2.50
  • Cinnamon Roll: $1.07
  • TOTAL: $9.75

Vegan Breakfast Burritos

-large tortillas

-one cup salsa

-one block tofu

-one medium onion

-five cloves minced garlic

-two medium potatoes

-one avocado

-salt and pepper

-oil

Directions:

Chop the onion in-half. Use one half of the onion (chopped) for the potatoes. Use the other half (chopped) with the tofu. Saute four of the cloves and half of onion in oil until translucent. Add diced potato and salt-and-pepper to taste. Fry until potato is golden-brown.

In seperate skillet, saute the rest of the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add tofu and salsa and saute for about ten minutes.

Remove potatoes from skillet and place in a bowl. Lower to medium heat and warm tortilla for about a minute on each side. Place potato, tofu, and diced avocado in the tortilla and roll tightly like a burrito. Place in medium-heat pan and "grill" for about a minute on all sides.

2 comments:

  1. I just got out of the Peace Corps last April and immediately fell back into irresponsible spending. Since July, I've turned it all around, and I limit my spending by measuring each purchase in my "personal currency" - that is - I know it only costs about $13 / day for me to live in the developing world (incl. food, rent, utilities, entertainment) - so I ask myself, "is this $7.50 purchase worth giving up a half a day of retirement?"

    Good luck with your social experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. What country is about $13/day? I might have to start planning. haha

    ReplyDelete